You can’t really open TikTok anymore without hearing the word “manifest.” Life coaches, tarot readers, and just about anyone who has found success believes in the eight-letter word that seemingly comes with a ton of power.
But how can you use manifestation as a tool in your everyday life? And better yet, is it possible to manifest while you’re asleep? Here’s everything we know about the force that is manifestation and how you can apply it to you.
What is manifestation—and why is it so popular right now?
Manifestation is kind of like an easier way to digest the principles behind “the secret.” It’s basically the law of attraction, which states that whatever energy you put out into the world comes back to you.
Those who believe in manifestation say you can quite literally speak exactly what you want into existence. Since these tools are free and easy for anyone to access, it’s quickly become a growing trend among people of all ages.
Does manifestation really work?
Well, it depends on who you ask—but now there’s actually some research that points to this practice having some very real effects.
According to research published in the journal Basic and Applied Social Psychology, imagining something happening is a powerful performance-enhancing tool.
In fact, major Olympic-level athletes are known to visualize their (stellar!) performance in a game or match before the game actually happens, and doing so can actually boost their performance in real life. Research published in the Encyclopedia of Mental Health referred to this phenomenon as a “self-fulfilling prophecy.”
All of these ideas are essentially manifestation in different forms. Manifestation can be something as simple as calling yourself an artist before you actually take any steps to become one or saying the mantra, “I have my dream job,” every morning when you wake up before you have it.
However, if we were able to promise manifestation 100%, it would be a billion-dollar industry, which it’s not. Instead, it’s simply a mindset. You might not get exactly what you want after the first try, but what have you got to lose? (Here are the best sleep quotes to inspire a good night’s rest.)
Can you manifest while you sleep?
According to manifestation teachers and experts on TikTok, the answer is yes. Some teachers share different ways of manifestation and different orders in which to complete certain rituals. But one tool is found in nearly every manifestation teaching video: visualization.
How to manifest while you sleep
- Turn on subliminal music. Nikeia recommends turning on music that relates to what you’re desiring. For example, if you want love, turn on a powerful love song that makes you weak in the knees.
- Write down your affirmations on a sheet of paper. This can be something as simple as, “I have found the love of my life,” or, “I am the CEO of my own company.” Nikeia recommends reading and repeating them to yourself for up to five minutes.
- Look at videos or photos that relate to your manifestation. Nikeia then recommends going directly to sleep without absorbing any additional information or data. That means cell phones off, people!
TikTok user @grantlacorte suggests a similar manifestation ritual. He believes manifestation can occur during sleep because of a subconscious activation that occurs in our dreams. His tips are as follows:
- Scan your body. La Corte recommends doing a quick body scan to get your mind in a meditative state. This can be as simple as thinking of each part of your body and your brain, telling it to power down. He says to do this until your body starts to feel weightless.
- Visualize. Envision what you want and feel what it would be like to get what you want. Want to be a CEO? Imagine yourself in a corner office and actually taste the coffee your assistant just brought into the room. No detail is too small. Absorb and feel it all!
- Sleep. Healthy, deep sleep is key to gaining the momentum you need the next day to put your manifestations into reality.
How do you manifest something quickly?
The quickest and most efficient way to manifest something is to stick to a routine. Use Nikeia’s method of writing down your exact manifestations on a sheet of paper so you can easily reach for them in the morning or at night to repeat them.
How can I practice manifestation every day?
When it comes to manifestation, practice makes perfect. Each time you manifest what you want before you fall asleep, make sure to feel and include new visceral and sensory details. Imagine what you would look like as you get what you want, what it feels like, what the weather’s like outside, what you’re wearing, etc.
Try to get into a visualization routine to get the results of your manifestation quicker by making them more powerful. If you find manifestation isn’t working for you, think about what could be clogging the outcome. There are tons of videos on TikTok that share the subconscious ways you could be blocking your manifestation.
Maybe you need to take care of one key aspect of your life before ushering new success in. Whatever it is, try not to get discouraged. Manifestation should be a positive and fun tool for getting what you want out of life. If you find it’s just stressing you out more than it’s helping you, it’s OK to say manifestation just isn’t for you.
You can practice mindfulness without ever leaving bed. Here’s how to meditate from bed to relieve stress and get better sleep.