A rug is one of those items you can seemingly keep forever. Especially if you have a good-quality bedroom rug that’s been passed down to you by your grandmother, you might not see a reason to replace it.
But is it really the case that rugs can last forever? How long do area rugs last—and how do you know when it’s time to replace yours? Keep reading to find out.
How long do rugs last?
The lifespan of a rug depends on a lot of factors, such as its quality, your lifestyle, where it is in your home, and the level of care it receives.
Rugs that are located in areas of your home that get a lot of foot traffic (e.g., the living room and the entrance area) will need to be replaced sooner than a rug in your guest room or even your bedroom.
Likewise, if you have kids or pets, then the lifespan of your rug will be shorter than if you’re a couple or a single professional living alone.
But even a high-quality rug that receives regular care and not a lot of foot traffic won’t last forever. On average, you can expect a good quality bedroom rug to last you about five to 10 years.
When to replace your bedroom rug
Your bedroom rug will basically tell you when its time has run out. Here are a few signs to look out for:
- Stains that won’t come off. Stains are an inevitable part of owning a rug. It’s especially true if you have kids, pets, or friends whom you like to invite for board game nights. Someone leans towards the coffee table to place their card and tips over their wine glass onto the rug. The good news is that stains aren’t the end of the world (and they’re not a good reason not to have board game nights). Most stains can be taken care of with proper cleaning supplies. The bad news is that over time, no matter how well you take care of them, stains will still affect the look of your rug. When your rug accumulates unsightly stains that can’t be removed anymore, then it may be time to let it go.
- A lingering odor. If you start noticing an unpleasant smell coming from your rug, even after cleaning, then it’s time to get rid of it. Especially if that smell is due to mold, this rug can be a health hazard and should be replaced as soon as possible.
- Visible wear and tear. Eventually, any rug will wear out. It’ll happen first to rugs that are located in the living room or at the entrance because these areas get a lot of foot traffic. A bedroom rug will last a little longer. But when you notice that the edges of the rug start to fray, or the binding starts to come undone, or the colors fade, then that’s your rug telling you it wants to retire.
- It won’t lay flat. Area rugs are designed to lay flat, but due to wear and tear and exposure to moisture, the edges of your rug might start curing up over time. When that happens, it’s not only unsightly but also creates a tripping hazard. The best solution is to get a new rug.
- It’s older than your teenager. If you have memories of your now hairy teenager learning to crawl on that rug, then it’s probably time to replace it. A good rug can last you 10 years, but more than that would be a stretch.
- It no longer fits your lifestyle. Sometimes changes just happen. Maybe you’ve moved or simply decided to upgrade your style so that the rug just doesn’t fit your life anymore. Remember, your rug is there to make you happy and to make your home cozy. If it doesn’t do any of these anymore, then it’s time to replace it.
How to make your bedroom rug last longer
There are steps you can take to make sure your bedroom rug lasts as long as possible. These include:
Don’t wear shoes on your rug
Shoes bring dirt and debris from the outside and will increase the wear and tear of the rug. It’s best to take them off before you step on it.
Clean your rug regularly
Vacuum your rug regularly (or clean it according to the manufacturer’s instructions). Doing this regularly will prevent the accumulation of dirt and allergens. It’s also a good idea to shake your rug outside before cleaning to help get rid of any debris.
Take care of stains as soon as possible
When you see a stain, take care of it as soon as you can. Blot it out first and then clean the area with mild soap and cold water. Finally, blot it dry with a clean, absorbent towel. Avoid prolonged exposure to moisture. You can also use vinegar diluted with water or any other gentle cleaning product that doesn’t damage the fibers.
If you do these things, then your rug will thank you and will ideally last longer.
Get a stylish new bedroom rug at Saatva
What’s the average life of a rug?
The lifespan of a rug depends on a lot of factors, including its quality and your lifestyle. A high-quality rug, properly maintained, will last you about five to 10 years.
How do I know when to replace my bedroom rug?
The telltale signs that your rug needs to be replaced are any lingering odors, stains that can’t be removed, or visible wear and tear.
Find the best bedroom rug at Saatva
When you’re ready to get a new bedroom rug, check out Saatva’s line of handcrafted rugs for the bedroom. Ranging from cozy to contemporary and made with natural materials, they’re sure to complement a variety of decor styles.