You might have heard that a mattress topper can be a great addition to your mattress. Mattress toppers (not to be confused with mattress pads) sit on top of your existing mattress and can indeed make you more comfortable in certain scenarios. But they’re not a “fix-all, end-all.”
So what does a mattress topper do, exactly, and do you really need one? Are mattress toppers worth it for most people? Here’s what you need to know.
What is a mattress topper?
A mattress topper, as the name suggests, is essentially a piece of foam that sits on top of your mattress but is separate from it. Mattress toppers come in all sizes, to match any mattress, from twin to California king. They also come in a range of thicknesses, usually between 2 and 4 inches, and can be made from a variety of materials.
- Memory foam toppers are similar to memory foam mattresses albeit much thinner and will give you some of that same body-hugging feeling that a memory foam mattress does.
- Latex mattress toppers are made from latex foam and are great for those looking for a bouncier feel.
- Mattress toppers made from polyester blends are the most affordable kind, but they may become lumpy quickly.
- You can also find mattress toppers made from natural materials such as wool or fleece.
- Finally, there are so-called egg crate mattress toppers. These have a bumpy surface made from convoluted foam and provide great airflow and good pressure point relief.
As you can see, mattress toppers are designed to make you more comfortable while you sleep—and they do so in various ways, depending on the material they’re made from. The question is, why use a mattress topper if you already have a comfy mattress?
Do mattress toppers work?
To be perfectly clear, if you have a mattress you’re happy with, you don’t need a mattress topper. Unlike mattress protectors, mattress toppers aren’t essential for most sleepers.
But there are certain situations where mattress toppers can make a big difference.
The primary job of the mattress topper is to make you feel comfier. Whether or not it can do this job well depends on why you feel uncomfortable in your bed in the first place.
- If your mattress is too thin or too firm for you, a good mattress topper can make a huge difference by providing you with a softer comfort layer.
- Maybe you have a new mattress that needs breaking in? A mattress topper can help here as well.
- Perhaps your old (but still good) mattress is too firm or too soft for you because your firmness needs have changed since you bought it—but you’re not quite ready to invest in a new mattress yet. A mattress topper can be a lifesaver here.
- Some mattress toppers use a special kind of foam to help you sleep cool, which is helpful if you have a mattress that provides adequate support but sleeps too hot.
- Since the mattress topper sits on top of the matt
Note, however, that while a mattress topper provides some protection from spills (and is much easier to wash than a mattress), we don’t recommend using it as a replacement for a mattress protector.
As you can see, mattress toppers can be a great addition to your mattress in some situations. What a mattress topper can’t do, though, is save a mattress that’s simply too old.
If your bed is sagging, or if broken springs are poking out through the surface of your innerspring mattress, then it’s time to get a new mattress. A mattress topper won’t save you here.
Are mattress toppers worth it?
There are definitely certain scenarios when a mattress topper is worth it. If your firmness needs have changed, if you need to make your mattress a little firmer or softer, or if your mattress provides excellent support but you’re missing a luxurious comfort layer, then a mattress topper may be worth it.
But mattress toppers are an added luxury, not an essential bedding item. Most importantly, they can’t save a mattress that’s too old. If your bed is sagging, you’re better off spending your money on a new mattress.
Get more comfortable sleep with these Saatva mattress toppers
Natural Latex Topper
This breathable, comfortable, and durable topper instantly adds a layer of responsive softness and unmatched pressure-point relief.
Graphite Memory Foam Topper
The latest in high-tech cooling. The contouring support of memory foam, plus the advanced heat-dissipating properties of graphite.
Micro-Coil Mattress Topper
Thoughtfully designed to relieve pressure points and offer the responsive feel of an innerspring. It gives you the best of both worlds with a hybrid of micro-coils and gel-infused comfort foam.
Does a mattress topper make a difference?
Mattress toppers add an extra layer of comfort to your mattress. So if you have a good mattress whose firmness level isn’t right for you, a mattress topper can make a big difference.
Is it good to use a mattress topper?
A mattress topper can be a great addition to your mattress if your current mattress feels too soft or too firm for your needs. Just don’t ask a mattress topper to fix an old mattress, and don’t confuse it with a mattress protector.
Will a mattress topper make my bed more comfortable?
A mattress topper can definitely make your bed more comfortable if its current firmness level isn’t right for you. It can also add a luxurious comfort layer if you’re satisfied with the support provided by your mattress but crave something extra for comfort (for example, the body-hugging feeling of memory foam or the responsive feel of latex foam).
But a mattress topper is an added luxury, not an essential item, and it won’t make your bed more comfortable if your mattress is long past its prime.
Does a mattress topper ruin the mattress?
A mattress topper won’t ruin your mattress and might even prolong its lifespan.
Boost your comfort with a mattress topper from Saatva
Mattress toppers can be a fantastic addition to your mattress—and, while not essential in most cases, they can really take your sleep from “somewhat restful” to “luxurious.”
If you’re ready to make that leap, take a look at Saatva’s range of high-quality mattress toppers that can help boost your comfort and give you a more enjoyable sleep experience.